I am still collecting under the shadow and restrictions of the pandemic. I don’t spend so much time browsing in toy shops as before the pandemic, also some of the pre-pandemic outlets are not around. I have, however, added a few significant models to my collection this month.
Only one model was bought new, a Hot Wheels Mercedes-Benz Unimog 1300.
The highlight of the month is a Soviet made Lada Niva with trailer in 1:43 scale, this was a present from Levan, the father of one of my students. A welcome addition to my Lada models.
There were also the three Majorette models from the seventies, which I found at Dry Bridge Market on Sunday. These three models were made in the seventies in France and are models of French cars. I found 3 Majorette Cars at Dry Bridge Market today. (blogpost). The box from the same era was thrown into the deal, although I don’t have the car depicted on the box a Citroen GS Bertone Camargue.
- Chrysler 180 (1:60 scale) This has a terrific nostalgia buzz, when I visited Paris in the mid seventies as a child, I picked up three Majorette models among which was a Chrysler 180.
- Peugeot 504. (1:65 scale) My brother actually owned a Peugeot 504 at one time, a rugged car popular in many African countries.
- Matra Simca Bagheera (1:55 scale). A sports car with unusual three abreast seating.
- Sol-Aire CX-4. A mid-engined racing car loosely based on Aston Martin and Nimrod’s “NRA/C2” Group C GT racer from the eighties.
- BMW M3 GTR. Racing tampos.
- Custom Volkswagen Beetle. This model has a roof rack.
- Mercedes Benz Unimog 1300. This had been on my wants’ list for a few months.
I added only one Matchbox model this month, a bright orange Oshkosh Extending-Ladder Fire Engine from the 1990s. My one is missing the extending ladder part but the ladder still rises and the turntable works. (Made in Thailand).
A few models left the collection, I really have too many (1570), I gave four to “Tsiteli”, who gave me the Custom VW Beetle, he sells models and vintage games at Samgori Market.
- Nissan GTR (RMZ City). This is a brand I don’t collect, I now have a couple of Hot Wheels GTRs so this one can go.
- Jeep Scrambler (Hot Wheels).
- Ferrari 360 (Hot Wheels). Coca Cola deco.
- Mercedes CLK GTR (Maisto). Maisto is not a brand I like at this scale, the cars look cheap and the wheels are poor compared to Matchbox or Hot Wheels.
Totals: 9 Models: 4 Hot Wheels, 3 Majorette, 1 Matchbox, 1 Made in USSR
1 Bought new, 6 bought secondhand, 1 gift, 1 traded
Outlets: 1 Pepela, 3 Dry Bridge Market, 3 Secondhand Toy Shop, 1 Samgori Market, 1 gift from Levan,
Net expenditure: 67.90 lari ($21.97)
1 lari = 32 US cents